Don’t Diet! Just Eat Healthy and Exercise
I was reading through my Glamour magazine and came across a wonderful article in the Body section about a weight loss plan from Dr. Yoni Freedhoff. Dr. Freedhoff has been a dedicated obesity specialist since 2004 and believes weight loss should not be rapid and dramatic with food deprivation. Here are some of his major points for healthy weight loss:
- Don’t Go Hungry: Always have breakfast within 60 minutes of waking up; control your appetite by having three meals and two small snacks per day (even if you don’t feel hungry) as this will ward off hunger pangs and cravings.
- Keep a Judgement Free Food Diary: People who keep food journals lose twice as much weight as those who don’t; keep your journal positive, don’t note whether you’ve “good” or “bad” but rather monitor each day’s degree of difficult and spot patterns to adjust food choices for more successful eating.
- Clean Your Kitchen: Literally; people who maintain a clean and organized kitchen are more often to actually use their kitchen; clean out your pantry and fridge of unhealthy food choices, stock up on healthy choices, commit to cooking and trying one new recipe a week.
- Have Protein Every Time You Eat: Protein is the best deterrent of hunger and cravings; be sure you are having 20 grams of protein per meal.
- Take a Vacation From Weighing Yourself: Remember that the number on the scale doesn’t equal a healthy body; you are the best measurement of your health; success is sustaining a healthy lifestyle where you feel happy with your body, and keeping the weight off.
By following Dr. Freedhoff’s methods, his patients have lost an average of one pound per week (safely) and 81% of his patients have kept their weight loss off consistently and permanently.
For more information about Glamour’s health and fitness section, click here.