To-Die-For Snack-Size Chicken Empanadas
My husband, the culinary genius, made the most delicious Chicken Empanadas. Here is the secret to his success with the healthy version of a Latin classic.
- 8-ounces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- One clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup of a small onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped (cored and seeded)
- 2 Tablespoons chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon minced cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Wonton wrappers (10 wrappers)
Prepare the Filling:
- Cut chicken into one-inch diced pieces.
- Put the chicken, garlic, onion, green bell pepper, chicken stock or water, cumin, and cilantro into a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir often, cooking until chicken is completely cooked.
- Transfer the skillet mixture into a food processor/blender and mix until coarsely ground. The mixture will be dry.
- Add two Tablespoons of breadcrumbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until cold.
Constructing the Empanada:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray baking sheet with Pam.
- Cut wonton wrappers in half, at a diagonal.
- Lightly brush edges with water (to help with the sealing process).
- Place a Tablespoon of the chicken filling into the wrapper; fold and seal shut (crimping the edges with a fork).
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all chicken filling is a wrapper.
- Bake until golden brown; approximately 4 to 6 minutes per side.
Serving Size = One Chicken Empanada.
25 Calories, 0.1 gram Fat, 44 mg Sodium, 4 mg Potassium, 4 Carbs, 2 grams Protein.
I dipped my empanadas in a green tomatillo salsa (low sodium, low calorie).