Lentils are a Great Substitute for Carbs
As you navigate your weight loss and/or healthy living, sometimes reducing carbohydrates is necessary (even for a short while) to improve weight loss and eat more healthful. If you’re like me, my body thinks it cannot live without an over-abundance of carbs. I love chips, potatoes, macaroni and cheese, pasta, bread…oh my goodness, so yummy! BUT when you are trying to lose weight, eat healthy, and/or stick to a more diabetic friendly diet, carbohydrates (in excess) are not good for your body. Please note: Your body requires carbohydrates to function but in reasonable amounts, so please do not go “carb free” unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
A great alternative to carbs (and it tricks my body into thinking I’m getting a lot of food) is lentils. Lentils are a superfood and very rich in dietary fiber, lean protein, folate, and iron. Also, lentils contain potassium, calcium, zinc, niacin, and vitamin K. One cup of lentils contain 63% (16 grams) of your daily fiber as well as 18 grams of protein and less than one gram of fat.
Lentils are very easy to cook (only 15-20 minutes boiling/simmer). You can add them to soups, have them as a main dish, or prepare them as a side dish. Lentils are versatile and you can add your favorite spices and flavors to compliment any protein or prepare as a meal. Here is a Lentil Superfood Soup that is absolutely delicious and contains additional powerful superfood.
I made Curried Lentils yesterday where I added ginger, curry, onion, and carrots to the lentils. Warning: Cook curry in a well ventilated space or open a window prior to making these lentils (trust me, my house had a strong curry smell for hours LOL).
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Black pepper (flavor to your preference)
- Lime juice (flavor to your preference, I squeezed a half lime into the pot)
- Place the EVOO into a pot and bring heat to medium.
- Add garlic and onion to pot. Cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground ginger and curry powder. Mix well.
- Add carrots, lentils, and broth. Stir.
- Add black pepper and lime juice. Stir.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover, lower heat to strong simmer.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes.
I made a double batch in order to eat a cup at a time throughout the week. I ate a cup of the Curried Lentils yesterday with tilapia. I am going to eat a cup of the lentils today as a main dish.