Here is a sampling of favorite meals these past few weeks:
Lentil Superfood Soup
I love soups and stews, especially on really cold days (like the ones we have been experiencing for the past couple weeks LOL). In an effort eat healthy (but stay full) I came up with this delicious soup recipe today that has lots of fiber, protein, and super foods to “feed the machine”.
- One large onion diced
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Cups water
- 49 ounces of chicken broth (the really big can of Swanson’s)
- 4 ribs of celery
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 Cups lentils (rinsed and sorted)
- 13 ounces of Hillshire Farms Turkey Smoked Sausage or Turkey Kielbasa (apprx. 2 Cups)
- 2 – 3 Cups of cooked, shredded/chopped chicken (I buy an organic roasted chicken and shred the breasts)
- 2 – 4 Cups kale; chopped without ribs (based on your preference, if you like kale)
- In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Add onions to pot. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add water.
- Add chicken broth.
- Increase heat to high. Bring to boil.
- Add celery, carrots, and lentils.
- Return pot to boil, then cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add turkey sausage and chicken.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- If desired, add kale 5-10 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 one-cup servings.
Each Cup = 182 Calories, 8 g of Fat, 15 Carbs (the good kind), 16 g of Protein.
I made the most delicious (and super healthy) dinner last night. I made a healthy version of Chicken Pasta Primavera. My husband and I loved the meal; it was scrumptious and so filling.
The Healthy Version of Chicken Pasta Primavera
- 12 ounces of chicken, cubed small or shredded in small pieces (I used leftover roasted chicken from the night before).
- 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup of chicken broth (I use Swansons 33% less sodium).
- 2 tsp of cornstarch or flour
- 6 ounces of pasta (I use Ronzoni Smart Taste Spaghetti; this pasta is fiber and protein enriched).
- 3 cups of vegetables (I used Archer Farms Mediterranean-Style Blend Steamers; it has zucchini, whole green beans, yellow carrots, and red peppers).
- 1 T of basil
- 2 tsp of red pepper flakes (or more or less depending on your preference)
- 2 tsp of coriander
- 1/4 tsp of lemon juice
- 2 tsp of cracked pepper
- A few sprinkles of parsley
What To Do:
- Boil pasta based on the box instructions. Drain and set aside once cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the: chicken broth, basil, red pepper flakes, coriander, lemon juice, parsley, and pepper.
- Heat the oil in the pan over med-high heat. Once heated, add the chicken and cook thoroughly (or in my case, I just reheated).
- Heat/steam the veggies based on the bag instructions (if you use fresh veggies, add the veggies after the chicken is cooked or cook separately the way you like them cooked).
- Now that your chicken is cooked and your veggies are cooked, mix them together in the same pan on low heat.
- Add the cornstarch or flour to the seasoning broth mixture. Mix well.
- Add the seasoning broth mixture to your chicken and veggies pan. Let simmer until seasoning broth starts to thicken.
- After the broth begins to thicken, add your pasta. Mix well.
Nutrition Facts: Serves 2 people.
404 Calories, 4.2 grams of Fat, 89 mg of Cholesterol, 270 mg of Sodium, 268 mg of Potassium, 52 Carbs, 7 grams of Fiber, 5 grams of sugar, 41 grams of Protein.
I wish I would have remembered to take a picture. Sorry. The next time I make this dish I will be sure to add a picture to this post.