Here is a sampling of favorite meals these past few weeks:
Lentil Superfood Soup
I love soups and stews, especially on really cold days (like the ones we have been experiencing for the past couple weeks LOL). In an effort eat healthy (but stay full) I came up with this delicious soup recipe today that has lots of fiber, protein, and super foods to “feed the machine”.
- One large onion diced
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Cups water
- 49 ounces of chicken broth (the really big can of Swanson’s)
- 4 ribs of celery
- 4 medium carrots
- 2 Cups lentils (rinsed and sorted)
- 13 ounces of Hillshire Farms Turkey Smoked Sausage or Turkey Kielbasa (apprx. 2 Cups)
- 2 – 3 Cups of cooked, shredded/chopped chicken (I buy an organic roasted chicken and shred the breasts)
- 2 – 4 Cups kale; chopped without ribs (based on your preference, if you like kale)
- In a large pot, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Add onions to pot. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add water.
- Add chicken broth.
- Increase heat to high. Bring to boil.
- Add celery, carrots, and lentils.
- Return pot to boil, then cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add turkey sausage and chicken.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- If desired, add kale 5-10 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 one-cup servings.
Each Cup = 182 Calories, 8 g of Fat, 15 Carbs (the good kind), 16 g of Protein.